The ultimate objective of mold removal is to physically remove the contamination, not to simply “treat” it. There is a common misconception that certain chemicals i.e., bleach will “kill” mold and solve the problem. The reality is that even “dead” mold spores can be allergenic if left on a surface. It’s not recommended to use bleach or harsh chemicals as they tend to create an even more toxic environment than already exists.
Therefore, mold abatement efforts should focus on safely removing building materials that harbor mold, and when physical removal is not possible or feasible, treating the surfaces in such a way that little or no spores are left behind, such as encapsulation (sealing) of the area. At Superior Restoration & Remodeling we use only EPA-approved green antimicrobial products that are effective in aiding the remediation process and follow the guidelines set forth in the EPA’s Mold Removal for Schools and Commercial Buildings, as well as our current industry standard known as The IICRC S520 Guideline for Professional Mold Remediation.